Thursday, October 25, 2007

Swimming lessons


Being your best is not so much about overcoming the barriers other people place in front of you as it is about overcoming the barriers we place in front of ourselves. It has nothing to do with how many times you win or lose. It has no relation to where you finish in a race or whether you break world records. But it does have everything to do with having the vision to dream, the courage to recover from adversity and the determination never to be shifted from your goals.

How about that friends? In the world of triathlon, swimming has always been the place where I just don't know what the hell I am doing. Sure, I finish, and I finish average but my race always begins when I get OUT of the water. I find myself saying, "Colleen, you are going to the Olympics!!"(mind you, moving at a very slow pace). I have decided to change that...what I want is to concentrate on preparing to swim my race and let the other swimmers think about me, not me about them.

For sure...uh huh. uh huh.

So you know what? The water is my friend.....I won't fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water. You know the body does what the mind prefers. And up until this point I have preferred to not THINK about the water. Well, that all changes with TONIGHT. Stay tuned for more updates on what I like to call 8 weeks of swimming to an Olympic Gold Medal. Bottom line is this, in training everyone focuses on 90% physical and 10% mental, but in the races its 90% mental. I believe with a little bit of help on the physical, I can conquer the mental block that is free-style for 2.4 miles in the Ironman.

No comments: