Friday, September 14, 2007

My Lil' Japanese Cig Case


La Zona Rosa, Thursday September 13, a little band called Spoon. If you have not got any of there stuff, there new album Ga, Ga, Ga, Ga, Ga (love the title) is a MUST buy and while you are at it, just purchase Gimme Fiction. You will thank me for sure. It was a sold out house and what a show it was. After hearing the opening band Sound Team (who are also great), Spoon took the stage. They are a local Austin band that has taken off. And there song My Lil Japanese Cig Case off their new album & I Turn My (camera on) were both favorites of mine for the night. They played well over an hour of music and it was the perfect way to kick off Austin City Limits Music Festival.

Gimme Fiction and Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga are full of immaculately crafted, concise pop gems. I use the word 'pop' loosely. What I love is that each song finds Brit Daniel (lead singer) and Jim Eno (drummer) exploring the tension between a tight rhythm section and chaotic production techniques (from messy guitar parts to bizarre samples). It's beautiful.

I can't wait to blog on the rest of the weekend. I am leaving in about two hours for Bela Fleck, Peter Bjorn and John, Joss Stone, Spoon (yep again) finishing the night off with The Killers. And that is just Friday night folks.

It's good to be in Austin.

No comments: