Thursday, September 6, 2007

Desiree & Grapefuit

Ok, so you may have seen this months Runner's World. Yes, Desiree Ficker is on the front. (pictured right. That is not me. Yet.) Yes, she is an athlete I look up to. And what is cool....yeah folks, she lives in Austin. So there are days I see her on the track at Austin High School and there are days that I see her on Town Lake Trail. (or Lady Bird Trail) Last year she got 2nd place in the Kona Ironman championships. With someone who looks and is this tough, you might say I would follow her training/eating regimen to the end.

That is where the Grapefruit comes in. She says in Runners World that she eats one every day. You guessed it, I have a drawer full of Grapefuit in my fridge. I have eaten one everyday. (I am only 5 days into this, but already I feel strong.) Ok, maybe that was a lie.

Let's look at the nutritional value of a Grapefruit, shall we?

Grapefruit is an excellent source of many nutrients and phytochemicals, for a healthy diet. Grapefruit is a good source of vitamin C, pectin fiber, and the pink and red hues contain the beneficial antioxidant lycopene. Studies have shown grapefruit helps lower cholesterol and there is evidence that the seeds have low levels of antioxidant properties. Grapefruit forms a core part of the "grapefruit diet", the theory being that the fruit's low glycemic index is able to help the body's metabolism burn fat. Grapefruit Seed Extract has been claimed to be a strong antimicrobial with proven activity against bacteria and fungi.

Desiree Ficker eats grapefruit. So does Colleen.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Grapefruit, eh? I like grapefruit. Might have to get some! Did you see last month's Inside Triathlon (the nutrition issue)? There was feature about a bunch of pro athletes that showed a photo of their fridges -- Desiree was one of the featured athletes.

Good luck with your IM training! What an exciting goal to be working towards!

Anonymous said...

What about drinking a Grey Goose and Grapefruit? AKA a Greyhound. I think it's a whole grapefruit...

:)
Azurae