Thursday, January 29, 2009

Ironman AZ, a different reason to race

My dear friend that has been diagnosed with cancer again was the one that would have raced alongside me at Ironman AZ this year. In fact, it was going to be a three-fold celebration. Her 40th birthday, her first IM and 2 years since her cancer diagnosis. Because she won't be able to race with me...for a brief moment I thought about not going this year, that she was truly the reason why I had signed up.

As I headed to the pool last night and pretty much swam out of anger that she is going to have to fight again, bone marrow transplant and everything else that comes with it, I decided I HAVE to go and do this race.

I will train my ass off (let's hope so anyway, I would love for it to get smaller) and I will kick 140.6 miles in the teeth for my dear friend. I will carry her with me in each mile and I will remember her fight. As we say here at the LAF...

We believe in life. Your life. We believe in living every minute of it with every ounce of your being. And that you must not let cancer take control of it. We believe in energy: channeled and fierce. We believe in focus: getting smart and living strong. Unity is strength. Knowledge is power. Attitude is everything.


In fact in our Challenge series the line we use is: your participation will be one more powerful weapon in the fight against cancer. Go Ahead. Pick a Fight.

For my friend...I will do just that.

No comments: