Thursday, January 15, 2009

Day of Service

"Life's most persistent and urgent question is...What are you doing for others?" Martin Luther King, Jr.

I can't believe what this next week holds for our country. Celebrating MLK day on Monday and then the innauguration of America's first Black President on Tuesday. I wish that all employer's gave off Monday, I am fortunate to be working for such a place. Something that you may or may not know is that Monday is being called a National Day of Service. President-elect Obama believes that we, as Americans, have a responsibility to help our communities and fellow citizens. In summoning a new spirit of service, he is calling on us to make an enduring commitment to our neighborhoods. If one looks up the definition of Service it is: work done by one person or group that benefits another.

If you can get out this weekend or Monday and reach out to your neighborhood or community that would be great! You can look up an event on USASERVICE.ORG or create one yourself that maybe you can involve your neighbors to join in!! It's not too late!!

If you are in Austin, there are a lot of different things to choose from...remember Change starts in our own homes and so if you can take even an hour and give back, it will be worth it...I promise!

I will be helping out at the new LAF building and serving lunch at the Capitol Area Food Bank. I have this quote sitting at my desk:
I don't know what your destiny will be, but one thing I do know: the only ones among you who will be really happy are those who have sought and found how to serve.

Don't be silent about the things that matter!! And if you do go out and serve, report back and let me know how it went!

No comments: