Wednesday, November 25, 2009

So thankful. So blessed.

The first of many posts friends and acquired followers. I am headed back on the plane and trying to write down my thoughts from Ironman AZ this past weekend. I didn’t think that the first IM could ever be topped, but this one certainly came darn close. It seemed appropriate in the week of Thanksgiving that this post would thank those that got me to November 22nd, 2009.

Much like the Oscars, if I didn’t mention him first, people would think we were in trouble. Sammy Legge. He played the amazing role of supportive and loving boyfriend + bike mechanic for the second year in a row. Last year we had only been dating about 6 weeks before CdA and so I thought he was just trying to impress me, but no, he was even better this time around.

There were many nights he got my bike ready for a long ride the very next day and many times I would come back from a work trip and he had cleaned, upgraded or simply tuned up my ride. I have to thank him as well for allowing me to attach onto his wheel for a few rides. I trained many miles on my own for this one and so it was nice for him to join me every now and again when his schedule allowed. Let’s remember folks, Sam is wicked fast on the bike, so riding with me is not even close to a workout for him.

It was also an amazing treat to have him with me in AZ! He cheered me on, kept me calm, dealt with my ever-changing mood swings, helped my sister and her family find me on the course, made sure I was getting rest leading up to race day and then helping me walk up and down stairs post race day. I think I will keep him! (I also think he is very happy that I am not signing up for an IM in 2010. And that is a promise. Notice I did not say NEVER….just not in 2010!)

To my Des- I know it wasn’t an easy decision to come and watch the race we had signed up to do together, but it was amazing to see you after my first loop on the bike and then when it all started to hurt. Thanks for cheering, slapping body glide where my tri top was chafing, and for tying my shoes because I wasn’t sure if I would be able to get back up! Most importantly, thanks for fighting for a second time. Many lives are better with you in it and I know that there were days where fighting seemed futile. Thanks for honesty with me in the midst of all that! Love you lady!


My sister Shannon and family- I can’t believe the timing of it all. I really didn’t think about it one year ago that you might be in AZ for Thanksgiving week and then it just worked out. I am so glad that you got to see a piece of what I love doing. Well more than a piece, 12 hours worth to be exact! What a special memory to run with my sweet niece, Phoebe, through the Finish Line! That will be with me for a very long time! I certainly wish we lived closer but the times I do get to see you are always worth it!


Mz. Fuller- you are the ultimate cheer leader and friend. Thanks for always offering rescue and support during long rides on the weekend. Thanks for always calling to see how my workouts were going. Thanks for your prayers, humor and concern. Thanks for stopping in to take Eloise out when I needed to get in a second workout and couldn’t make it to her. Thanks for traveling to AZ and being out there to scream and yell! The list could go on….you are such a self-less person and I am so blessed to have you.

Juanita (imagine me saying this as Espanol as I can get) I love it that you live your life with such adventure! Thank you for coming to AZ and joining in on the fun.

Steve Hed- thanks for the amazing HED wheels. It was great to race with such sparkle and flair! I did take an hour off my bike time from last year so I am guessing you know what you are doing. It was a gift I was not expecting and one that I deeply appreciate.


Chrissie (aka Coach Pain)- For the second year in a row you made me feel like a rockstar in the pool and in all aspects of training! You are a great encouragement and a good friend. I know good things are coming for you.


The guys at Jack & Adams-
always there with a word of encouragement. For the help with Tri Bike Transport and the BEST races in the South!
Texas Iron-
For the second year in a row, your schedule guided me through to a great Finish. I wish I could have come to more group trainings but the monthly schedule you provided me was PERFECT for someone that travels a lot. I highly suggest this group for some great training and schedules you can keep forever.

And finally I would like to thank those that I sponsor financially: Ironman North America (race entry fee), Zoot Wetsuits, Louie Garneau bike shorts, Asics shoes, Nike socks and various apparel, Hammer products..... Without mine and several other triathletes money, you would not eat, sleep or be able to clothe yourselves.

Don’t you worry friends, a more extensive race report with pictures to follow but for now. I am so thankful and hungry.

(for those that might not have seen last years report, you can go here to read. This will get you set up for this years report to follow)

1 comment:

Kirsten said...

Amazing how many awesome people make it all come together. I'm so inspired by your friend Des and reading your words to her make me cry! And I'm inspired by you too-can't wait to see the details unfold about IM#2. Happy Turkey Day and consider IM Loiusville aug. 29, 2010, we can be JMU iron together. :) Congrats again!